This course introduces Nursing students to professional nursing practice by providing opportunities for students to explore the legal and ethical foundations of the nursing profession, cultural concepts in professional nursing practice, current issues/trends in health care, and health care delivery system.
After Completion, Students will be able to perform the following:
- Identify the effect of significant historical events on the development of professional nursing.
- Articulate the role changes of the professional nurse; as the focus changes from illness to health promotion and care shifts from the individual to families, groups, and communities.
- Discuss how cultural diversity is pertinent to the care of individuals, families, and communities.
- Learn ethical and legal foundations for professional nursing practice as outlined in the code of ethics, professional competencies, and the standards of nursing practice by CNO.
- Applicants must have completed a Diploma/Degree in nursing and should be registered with the Nursing Council of their country of education.
- Copy of CNO Letter of Assessment
- Resume/CV outlining previous nursing education and practice;
- Eligibility to study in Canada (i.e. Canadian citizenship, permanent residents, study permit).